Research, Publications, performances
Weisling, Anna, and Anna Xambó. "Beacon: Exploring Physicality in Digital Performance." Proceedings of the Twelfth International Conference on Tangible, Embedded, and Embodied Interaction. ACM, 2018.
Live performances which involve digital technology often strive toward clear correspondences between distinct media modes, particularly those works which combine audio and video. Often, the process of creating and executing such performances involves mapping schemes which are encased within the digital system, producing content which is tightly synchronized but with relationships which can feel rigid and unexpressive. Within this paper we present a collaborative process between visualist and musician, which builds toward a method for promoting co-creativity in multimedia performance and prioritizes the performer’s physical presence and interaction with digital content. Through the development of two autonomous systems, a novel physical interface and an interactive music system, we summarize our creative process of co-exploration of system capabilities, and extended periods of experimentation and exploration. From this experience, we offer an early-stage framework for approaching engaging digital audiovisual relationships in live performance settings.
Weisling, Anna, Xambó, Anna, Olowe, Ireti, and Barthet, Mathieu. "Surveying the Compositional and performance practices of audiovisual practitioners." Proceedings of the eighteenth international conference on new interfaces for musical expression (NIME). ACM, 2018
This paper presents a brief overview of an online survey conducted with the objective of gaining insight into com- positional and performance practices of contemporary audiovisual practitioners. The survey gathered information regarding how practitioners relate aural and visual media in their work, and how compositional and performance practices involving multiple modalities might differ from other practices. Discussed here are three themes: compositional approaches, transparency and audience knowledge, and error and risk, which emerged from participants’ responses. We believe these themes contribute to a discussion within the NIME community regarding unique challenges and objectives presented when working with multiple media.
Xambó, A., Drozda, B., Weisling, A., Magerko, B., Huet, M., Gasque, T., & Freeman, J. (2017, March). Experience and Ownership with a Tangible Computational Music Installation for Informal Learning. In Tangible and Embedded Interaction(pp. 351-360).
In this paper we present a preliminary design and initial assessment of a computational musical tabletop exhibit for children and teenagers at the Museum of Design Atlanta (MODA). We explore how participatory workshops can promote hands-on learning of computational concepts through making music. We also use a hands-on approach to assess informal learning based on maker interviews. Maker interviews serve to subjectively capture impromptu reflections of the visitors' achievements from casual interactions with the exhibit. Findings from our workshops and preliminary assessment indicate that experiencing and taking ownership of tangible programming on a musical tabletop is related to: ownership of failure, ownership through collaboration, ownership of the design, and ownership of code. Overall, this work suggests how to better support ownership of computational concepts in tangible programming, which can inform how to design self-learning experiences at the museum, and future trajectories between the museum and the school or home.
Weisling, A. (2017, June). The Distaff: A Physical Interface to Facilitate Interdisciplinary Collaborative Performance. In Proceedings of the 2017 Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (pp. 1365-1368). ACM.
This paper presents an interface designed for an interdisciplinary collaboration between a visual artist (known within this paper as a "visualist") and electronic musician. With the specific goal of enabling expressive real-time visual performance in conjunction with live electronic music, the interface draws from methodologies and design practices informing interaction design, HCI, and experimental music practices [7, 16, 20]. The affordances and general design techniques of the interface are described, and an initial reflection on the performative experience is presented, considering both the visualist's and musician's perspectives. What begins to emerge from this design experience is a core set of issues and values for performers working with media technology; the Distaff suggests ways we might approach such issues with expressivity, collaboration, and physical engagement in mind.
Weisling, A. (2016, May). the rest is construction: An Interactive Installation Evoking Somatic and Cognitive Effects of Anxiety. In Proceedings of the 2016 CHI Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems(pp. 3893-3896). ACM.
This paper describes the rest is construction, an interactive installation which seeks to emulate the experience of living with anxiety to a viewer through haptic and visual interactions. The use of haptic and display technologies will be discussed, particularly as they relate to the visual and technological aesthetics of the piece.
CONFERENCE AND FESTIVAL PERFORMANCES
- NIME 2018 Beckon
- Sonorities 2018 Intra.view
- Sonorities 2018 HOW/WHO/OWH
- TEI 2018 Beacon
- CUBEFest 2017, All the More my Thoughts Multiply
- 05/2017 NIME 2017, Copenhagen. Beacon.
- 04/2017 SEAMUS Conference, St. Cloud State University, Minnesota. Arbor 1-V.
- 02/2017 Root Signals Festival, Statesboro GA, Beacon
2016 & Beyond
- 06/2016 - New York Electroacoustic Music Festival 2016, Arbor 1-V.
- 03/2016 - National Student Electronic Music Event, University of Oklahoma, OK, Arbor 1-V.
- 01/25/2016 - LSU Cinema for the Ears, Baton Rouge, LA. Arbor.
- 11/21/15 - 15th Annual LaTEX Festival, Rice University, Houston, TX. Flatland.
- 10/03/15 - Electroacoustic Barn Dance 2015. Flatland.
- 04/26/15 - JamJar Series, Black Box, Belfast, N. Ireland. Flatland, I’ll be on the Water with Miguel Ortiz
- 04/20/15 - Sonorities 2015, Belfast N. Ireland. I’ll be on the Water with Miguel Ortiz.
- 11/15/14 - Electroacoustic Barn Dance 2014. Cancion.
- 11/08/14 - Third Practice Electroacoustic Music Festival 2014, Cancion.
- 03/16/2013 - Canterbury House Concert Series, Ann Arbor MI, a scrape in the liquid, exit crafting, and Improvisation.
- 03/17/2013 - Electronic Music Midwest Invitational, Kalamazoo MI, exit crafting.
- 11/14/2012 - Festival Multiplicidade 2012, Brazil, with Marco Donnarumma and Miguel Ortiz Perez.
- Electroacoustic Barn Dance 2012, University of Mary Washington, SkySequence.
- Programmed at UW-Whitewater’s Spring Sonict Ensemble concert, April 24 2012, Arbor I-V.
- 5/23/2012 - Programmed on Spring Concert for Saxophone and Video, France, Arbor I-V.
- Sonorities 2012, Queen’s University Belfast, Improvisation with Atau Tanaka, Marco Donnarumma, Miguel Ortiz Perez, Gascia Ouziounian, and Eric Lyon.
- Electroacoustic Barn Dance 2011, University of Mary Washington, Arbor I-V.
Programmed and performed at the Electroacoustic Juke Joint, 2008, Molecule.
- Programmed at EAJJ 2010, exit crafting.
- Programmed at EMM 2010 with Jeff Herriott and Eric Sheffield, a scrape in the liquid.
- Programmed/Commissioned for UW-Whitewater’s Contemporary Saxophone in Various Settings Concert, Student Curator Nick Zoulek, March 2011, Arbor I-V.
- 11/10/16 Electroacoustic Barn Dance, Richmond VA, Beacon
- 10/2016 Body Electric Exhibition performance, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.
- 05/05/16 - Knockdown Center, NYC, All the more my thoughts multiply… with Jane Rigler and Elizabeth Hoffman
- 02/29/16 - Eyedrum, Atlanta. drome, Flatland, Spaces/Echoes, with Mark Snyder and Eric Sheffield
- 11/05/14 - Outpost: Performing Systems, I’ll be on the Water, with Luke DuBois.
- 06/13/14 - The Goat Farm. The Stone Tapestry, Chamber Cartel
- 02/15/14 - P.A.T. and Friends: Electronic Music from the University of Michigan & the University of Illinois”, Moore Building, McIntosh Theatre.
- 01/26/14 - Northern Illinois University. The Stone Tapestry, with Due East and Jeff Herriott.
- 01/24/14 - UW-Whitewater. The Stone Tapestry, with Due East and Jeff Herriott.
- 11/16/13 - Kerrytown Concert House, Arbor.
- 11/2013 - EMM Festival 2013. Qwee, music by Mark Snyder.
- 06/18/13 - RTV (Real Time Visuals) Performance, Goldsmiths University, London. Skysequence and Spaces/Echoes
- 03/26/13 - DME concert directed by Steve Rush, Ann Arbor MI
- 03/05/13 - Qwee, music by Mark Snyder
- 12/03/12 - Armed and PopUp performed with the Sonict Duo, UW-Whitewater Spring concert.
- 11/15/12 - Performance at Plano B Lapa, Brazil, with Miguel Ortiz and Marco Donnarumma.
- 11/13/12 - Spaces and Echoes performed at UW-Milwaukee by Trevor Saint.
- 05/07/12 - bell monks at Lost City Music Festival, Project Lodge, Madison WI.
- 11/10/212 - Qwee performed at Electroacoustic Barn Dance 2012.
- 11/09/12 - Spaces and Echoes performed at Electroacoustic Barn Dance 2012.
- 10/19/12 - Music from Wisconsin Concert, SkySequence.
- 8/26/12 - Quiet Music Night, Belfast, N. Ireland, Ariel and On the Edge of.
- 5/25/12 - Premiere performance of Skysequence, on the edge of, and trap.
- 12/2011 - BLISS XMESS Concert, Queen’s Univerisity Belfast, Improvisation with Miguel Ortiz Perez, Justin Yang, Pedro Rebelo, and Cavan Fayans.
- 08/24-25/11 - Weather Duo with Cycropia at Orton Park Festival, Madison WI.
- 2010-2011 - Video improvisation with WYOU, Sleepwalks, multiple performances
- 2008-2010 - Video improvisation with WYOU, TeleConundrum.
- 04/29/11 - With Jeff Herriott/Eric Sheffield, Ryan Ingebretsen (wcawm.com) at the Project Lodge, Madison WI, 7:30pm.
- 04/28/11 - With Jeff Herriott/Eric Sheffield, Ryan Ingebretsen (wcawm.com) at Bryant Lake Bowl, MN, 10pm.
- 11/8/10 - Performance at Morphey Hall, Madison WI, with Ben Willis.
- 07/17/10 - VJ’ing at Plan B, Madison WI, with Tele-Telepathy.
- 07/6/10 - Urban Agrarian Presents showcase at Gates of Heaven, Madison WI.
- 04/18/10 - Performance at Capital Hills Center, Madison WI, with Ben WIllis.
- 03/25/10 - Performance at Mills Hall, Madison WI, with Downbeat Means Attack.
- 06/12/10 - Three Tragic Myths at Eyeclopes Studios in Fredricksburg, VA via Mark Snyder.
- 06/06/10 - Performance at Just Coffee Warehouse, Madison WI, withThistle and the Thorns.
- 2007 - Created three integrated patches for UW-W student percussion recital, including a piece for Dr. Jeff Herriott’s Aluminum Leaves.
2018 & Current
- Georgia Institute of Technology Women in Music Tech Committee Member (Graphic and Web Designer), 2017-Current.
- Georgia Tech Arts Council, Student Representative, 2017-2018.
- National Student Electronic Music Event (NSEME) Volunteer.
- 2017 International Conference on Computational Creativity (ICCC) MetaMusic Workshop Coordinator
- 2017 International Conference on Computational Creativity (ICCC) Program Committee, Public Relations Committee
2016 & Beyond
- Volunteer for New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME) Conference 2014. Goldsmiths University London.
- Elected Student/Staff Consultative Committee Secretary for the College of Creative Arts, Queen’s University Belfast, 2011-2012.
- University Post Graduate Consultative Committee Student Representative, 2011-2012.
- Sonorities Festival 2012, Queen’s University Belfast, front of house.
- President, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Audio Club, 2005 to 2008.
2018 & Current
- Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) 2018. Hong Kong.
- Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) 2018. Edinburgh, Scotland.
- New Interfaces For Musical Expression (NIME) 2017. Blacksburg, VA, USA.
- Musical Metacreation (MUME) 2018.
- Digital Creativity Magazine, 2017.
- Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) 2017. Edinburgh, Scotland.
- International Conference on Movement and Computing (MOCO) 2017. London, UK.
- Sound and Music Computing Conference (SMC) 2017.
- New Interfaces For Musical Expression (NIME) 2017. Copenhagen.
- International Conference on Computational Creativity (ICCC), 2017. Georgia Institute of Technology
- Musical Metacreation (MUME) 2017.
- National Student Electronic Music Event (NSEME), 2016, Louisiana State University.
- Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) 2016. San Jose, CA, USA.
- NIME 2018 Gender Diversity
2016 & Beyond
- 05/07-08/2016 - CHI2016 Digital Art in a Post-Digital World workshop
- 06/18/2013 - RTV (Real Time Visuals) Workshop, Goldsmiths University, London. A New System of Visual Performance.
- Artist Grant, Sonorities Festival 2018
- Digital Media departmental travel award, Georgia Institute of Technology (2016, 2017, 2018)
- Graduate School Travel Award, Georgia Institute of Technology (2016, 2017, 2018)
- Graduate Conference Fund Award, Georgia Institute of Technology (2016, 2017)
- Center for Music Technology Travel Award, 2017
- CHI 2016 Interactive Art Award, Honorable Mention
- CHI 2016 Artist Grant, 2016
- Ivan Allen College Graduate Student Travel Award, 2016
- Georgia Tech Graduate Conference Fund Award, 2016
- Digital Media Travel Grant, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2016
- Ivan Allen College Presidential Fellowship, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2015.
- Ivan Allen College Dean’s Fellowship, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2015.
- Queen’s University Postgraduate International Students Award, September 2011.
- Winner of PlayExpo 2011 Sound with Eyes Open category, first place (untitled, 2011).
- Winner of PlayExpo '09 Sound with Eyes Open category, first place (Moon and Stars, 2009).
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater writing award for Music History research paper (From Acoustic to Digital: A History of Electronic Music), 2009.
- UWW Research Grant with Dr. Elena Bertozzi creating sound for flash video game, finalist in Serious Games Showcase and Challenge, 2008.